Agirre Lehendakaria Center, in collaboration with UNDP Maldives and UNDP Bangkok Regional Hub for Asia Pacific and SDG Integration.
- Community actions11 string(7) "0.00000" string(15) "#5CA897 0.00000"
- Small and mid scale initiatives11 string(8) "21.15385" string(51) "#5CA897 0.00000%,#5CA897 21.15285%,#59747F 21.15385"
- Large scale initiatives16 string(8) "42.30770" string(87) "#5CA897 0.00000%,#5CA897 21.15285%,#59747F 21.15385%,#59747F 42.30669%,#C38482 42.30770"
- New public services11 string(8) "73.07693" string(123) "#5CA897 0.00000%,#5CA897 21.15285%,#59747F 21.15385%,#59747F 42.30669%,#C38482 42.30770%,#C38482 73.07593%,#EC5D65 73.07693"
- New regulation mechanisms3 string(8) "94.23078" string(159) "#5CA897 0.00000%,#5CA897 21.15285%,#59747F 21.15385%,#59747F 42.30669%,#C38482 42.30770%,#C38482 73.07593%,#EC5D65 73.07693%,#EC5D65 94.22978%,#A73E7D 94.23078"
Everything is centralized in Male
We need to make tourism profitable for the local
You need political connections to find a good job
Developing fishery and linking it to tourism is the key opportunity for the locals
Home based workers need to be recognized
There is a mismatch between training skills and the labor market
Unpaid work is still a burden for women economic empowerment
The main objective of the Platform is to drive systemic transformation and ensure a future in which all youth, women and people at risk of exclusion contribute to and benefit from inclusive, resilient and sustainable livelihood activities. The initial listening covered around 20 islands in the Maldives while the sensemaking focused on specific islands in Baa Atoll, Goidhoo, Fulhadhoo and Fehendhoo as well as in Fuvahmulah island, in Gnaviyani Atoll.
Through collaborative work with the community and diverse stakeholders from the local islands and Male region, women and youth empowerment, sustainable tourism and blue economy were identified as the main areas of opportunities.
The people powered portfolio in the Maldives has 47 interconnected initiatives within the 5 levels of intervention corresponding to these areas. All areas are closely interconnected and the prototypes selected aim to bridge the gap between the skills development and available labour market reinforcing the connection between the tourism value chain and traditional livelihood activities.